Competition Rules and Guidelines
Click here to download a pdf version of the rules.
CLICK HERE FOR DIGITAL AND NATURE RULES PRESENTATION
Note: Monthly competitions are a constructive way that club members receive feedback from a variety of photographers and visual artists about the quality of our work. Seeing and listening to the critiques of your own and other peoples work is one of the most instructive and rapid ways to improve the quality of your work.
- . Competition is open to dues paying club members
- . For each competition each member may enter the following: two digital images, one color print, one monochrome print.
- . Each month there is an assigned subject (see web site for listing) for images (the same for both digital and prints) and the subject must be the main focus of interest in the photo.
- . Prints may be commercially printed. Sepia and toners may be used. Minimum print size is 8”x10” (exclusive of any matting), Maximum Print size is 16”x24” (Including any matting). All prints must be mounted. All Prints must include photographer’s name, title of Print and an arrow pointing to the top of print. Panoram prints may not exceed 14” in height and 36” in width. Prints must be submitted without frames. Gallery wraps are considered framed and are not submitable.
- . If the subject is NATURE the image should not display the “hand of man” in any way. Nothing man made can be visible. This also means no cultivated flowers or domesticated pets.
- . Competitors are grouped in two divisions: Division A and B. Professionals are automatically placed in A and the highest average scorer in B is automatically placed in A at the beginning of the next program year. It is recommended that the assigned subject images be taken the year of the competition.
- . All images and prints must be taken by the entrant. Digital images must be processed by entrant, Prints may be commercially produced. Photos may be resubmitted. A winning image (placing 1, 2 or 3) may not be resubmitted.
- . All images must have a title and the entrant’s name For example: Winter Dawn_JoePhotographer.jpg Note the underscore that separates name from title. All digital images must be submitted as jpgs.
- . Digital images must be resized as follows before submission: Not to exceed 1400 pixels x 1050 pixels at 100 dpi. (Note: 100 dpi is not optional) There is a resizing tutorial HERE. Digital files which are not properly labeled and/or do not meet the size limits will not be included in the competition.
- . Make ups are not permitted.
- Submission deadline is the Thursday preceding the competition or earlier. All images will be pre screened for conformity with competition rules. Early submissions are encouraged.
Note: Entries are judged for composition, emphasis and interpretation of the main subject, originality, impact, technical quality and presentation.
Images will be judged by one designated judge each month. The judge will receive the digital images the week before for pre-judging. On the evening of the competition and as time allows, the judge will try to make a brief comment about each image submitted revealing the winning images last. Prints will be judged on the evening of the competition.
Images and prints, which scored at 8 points or more, are entered in the Image of the Year Competition.
Photographs are copyrighted by the photographer. - All rights reserved.Revised 2/18/19